Here’s everything you need to know about Disney Genie Plus and the Lightning Lanes plus a free cheat sheet to help you plan your trip!
You can avoid a lot of waiting with Disney Genie Plus and the Individual Lightning Lanes, but only if you know how to use them!
In this post, I’ll answer all of your questions and show you how to use Genie Plus at Walt Disney World.
What is Disney Genie Plus?
Genie Plus is what replaced the FastPass system at Disney World in 2021.
Disney Genie + will give you a pass for much shorter waits for some rides – for a fee.
You access Genie+ in the My Disney Experience app. If you purchase it you can make “Lightning Lane” selections throughout the day.
Read on to learn how to use Genie Plus and how to decide if you should spend the extra money for it on your vacation!
What is a Lightning Lane at Disney World?
The Lightning Lane is a separate line (aka “queue”) at each attraction.
You must have a Lightning Lane reservation to use this queue and the wait will be much shorter than the regular “standby” line.
For most attractions, the wait will typically be less than five minutes.
How do the Lightning Lanes work at Disney World?
First, there are two different types of Lightning Lane attractions at Disney World.
In a perfect world, Disney would have given them distinct names to keep confusion down. Unfortunately, we don’t live in that perfect world!
First, there are the Genie+ Lightning Lane attractions.
There are about 50 Genie+ Lightning Lane attractions across the four parks. Purchasing Genie+ for the day will allow you to use the Lightning Lane at these 50 attractions.
There are also Individual Lightning Lane attractions.
As of right now, there is one Individual Lightning Lane attraction at each park (so four total). You have to buy access to the Lightning Lane at these four attractions separately from Genie+.
Just to reiterate, Genie+ won’t work to get you access to the Lightning Lane at these rides. You have to pay individually for them.
To help with confusion, I’m going to explain these one at a time. I’ve also color-coded the terms throughout the post to help you keep them straight!
How much does Genie + Cost?
In order to use the Genie+ Lightning Lanes, you will need to purchase Genie + for that day.
The cost for Genie+ is variable. The price ranges from $15 to $29 (plus tax) per day at Walt Disney World.
So how much Genie+ costs will depend on how busy the parks are – peak days will cost more.
Keep in mind the cost is $15 – $29 per person per day, so you can see that the costs can really add up.
You do NOT have to buy it for every day of your ticket. More on this soon!
Disney Genie vs. Disney Genie Plus
Disney Genie is a free service within the My Disney Experience app. It is supposed to help you decide what to do in the theme parks based on your interests.
However, I don’t suggest you actually follow the suggestions that the Disney Genie service provides!
The suggestions are designed to control crowds and won’t necessarily send you to the best attractions.
On the other hand, Disney Genie + will help you avoid waiting in long lines all day long by giving you access to a special shorter queue.
If you learn how to use it, the quality of your vacation can increase dramatically.
Is there a Genie Plus Disney World App?
No, there actually isn’t a separate Disney Genie app!
You access the Disney Genie service within the My Disney Experience app.
When you open the app, you will see a link to the Disney Genie service right at the top of the screen after the welcome message.
How Do I Buy Disney Genie Plus?
Currently, the only way to buy Genie+ is one day at a time in the My Disney Experience app.
You can purchase Disney Genie + for that upcoming day starting at midnight.
Be sure to purchase it before 7 am so you are ready to make your first reservation right at 7 am!
Depending on how busy the parks are when you visit, you may not need it for every park every day.
If you purchased your tickets before June 8th, 2022 you may have purchased them with Genie+ already added for the length of your ticket.
When Can I Start Making Genie+ Lightning Lane Selections?
Provided you have your park ticket, park reservation, and Disney Genie pass all ready to go, you can make your first Genie+ Lightning Lane selection starting at 7 am each day.
Regardless of whether you are staying at a Disney resort or not, all guests can now begin making Genie+ Lightning Lane selections at 7 am every morning.
How Do I Make Disney World Genie Plus Selections?
When you open your My Disney Experience app, you’ll see at the very top where you can tap “My Day” or “View My Day”.
Tapping this will take you to Disney Genie where you can make your Lightning Lane selections.
By far the easiest way to make Genie+ Lightning Lane selections is through the Tip Board.
I found the “My Day” section to be very confusing and not helpful – I suggest ignoring it.
Once you are in the Tip Board you’ll see all of your options for Genie+ Lightning Lane selections.
Note that your only option for a Lightning Lane reservation is the next available return time for each attraction.
You can’t choose from multiple options like you could with FastPass.
I’m sure you are wondering what attractions you will want to make Lightning Lane selections for first. Keep reading and I will give you my tips!
Once you make a Genie+ Lightning Lane selection you will see a confirmation screen like this.
You will be able to see any Lightning Lane selections you currently hold in the My Day part of Disney Genie.
When can I make additional Genie+ Lightning Lane selections?
And now it gets really confusing LOL.
In general, you can make another Genie+ Lightning Lane selection either when you check in for your current selection or after 120 minutes have passed since you made your current selection.
For example, if at 9 am you get a spot in the Lightning Lane at 4 pm for Slinky Dog Dash, you won’t have to wait until 4 pm to make another selection.
You’ll be able to make another selection 120 minutes later at 11 am.
So it is possible to “stack” several Genie+ Lightning Lane selections for later in the day if you keep utilizing the 120-minute rule.
Here is a screenshot of when I did this one day at Magic Kingdom. I had stacked three Genie + Lightning Lane selections by using the 120-minute rule throughout the day.
The only exception to the 120-minute rule is if you make your first Genie+ Lightning Lane selection before the park opens.
You’d have to wait for 120 minutes after the official park opening time to make another selection.
So if you make your first selection at 7 am (which you should!) and the park doesn’t open until 9 am, you’ll have to wait until 11 am to make another selection. Or until you use that first selection.
Can I Modify My Lightning Lane Selections?
Thanks to a recent update, you can now modify a Genie+ Lightning Lane selection after you’ve made it!
You’ll be able to change who is on the Lightning Lane reservation, and, more importantly, modify the return time of the reservation.
This is a HUGE improvement to the system.
Is Genie Plus Worth It?
I’m sure at this point you are wondering “is Genie Plus worth it?”
Well, like the service, the answer is complicated!
My quick answer is that Genie Plus ISN’T needed at every park and during every time of year.
Now here is my full answer to the question “Is Disney Genie Plus worth it?”
Genie Plus is almost always needed at Magic Kingdom.
If you want to avoid waiting in lots of long lines, I’d recommend purchasing Genie+ for your day at Magic Kingdom.
The reason for this is that there are so many attractions at Magic Kingdom.
You’ll likely get your money’s worth out of Genie+ and be able to make many Genie+ Lightning Lane selections throughout the day!
The only times you might not need it are rainy or cold days during a less busy time of year.
I recommend Genie+ at Hollywood Studios in most circumstances as well.
You’ll get a lot of use out of Genie+ at Hollywood Studios as well.
There are many Genie+ Lightning Lane attractions at Hollywood Studios that typically have long waits during the middle of the day.
These include the Millennium Falcon, Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Midway Mania, Rockin’ Roller Coaster, and the Hollywood Tower of Terror.
Unless you are visiting with very young children who can’t go on most of these rides, you’ll probably want Genie Plus at Hollywood Studios.
Genie Plus is only needed at Epcot and Animal Kingdom during the busiest times of the year.
With fewer attractions and crowds, you likely won’t need Genie Plus at the other two parks unless you are visiting during the busy season.
However, you will need a solid touring plan in order to experience these parks with Genie+.
I suggest that you invest $18 in a Touring Plans membership as opposed to spending $120 on Genie+ for those two parks for a family of four.
Disney Genie Plus Tips & Tricks
Now that you’ve got the basics down, here are some very important tips and tricks for getting the most out of Genie Plus.
1) Be sure to have these things already done well before 7 am: have your resort reservation linked (if you are staying at a Disney resort), have park tickets purchased for everyone in your party, have tickets linked to My Disney Experience, have a Park Pass secured for that day, and have Genie+ purchased if you are using it that day.
2) The Genie+ Lightning Lane reservations for Slinky Dog Dash will disappear faster than for any other attraction. Grab a Lightning Lane reservation immediately at 7 am, especially if you are park hopping and want an earlier time.
3) The most popular Genie+ Lightning Lane reservations in Magic Kingdom are for the Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, and Peter Pan’s Flight. I suggest grabbing a Lightning Lane reservation right at 7 am for the Jungle Cruise. And as soon as you check in for that attraction, grab a reservation for the Peter Pan’s Flight. The rest of the attractions at Magic Kingdom should be easier to get.
4) For Epcot and Animal Kingdom, you can wait until you are actually in the parks to decide if you want to purchase Genie+ for that day. If the standby waits are getting longer and the Lightning Lane return times are good, you can purchase it on the fly. This is better than buying it ahead of time only the discover you didn’t need it at all that day.
5) The most popular Genie+ Lightning Lane attractions at Epcot are Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, Frozen Ever After, and Test Track. If you do use Genie+ at Epcot, grab these first. Also, note that Test Track has a single rider line option if you don’t mind sitting separately from your party.
6) The most popular Genie+ Lightning Lane attractions at Animal Kingdom are Kilimanjaro Safaris and Nav’i River Journey. Grab these first if you are using Genie+.
7) Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom has a Single Rider Line option. You can use this line if you don’t mind sitting separately from your party. The wait is usually VERY short with this option.
Because of this and the fact that the line moves quickly, you may not need the use the Lightning Lane for this attraction.
8) Set a reminder on your phone to make another Genie+ Lightning Lane selection as soon as 120 minutes has passed.
Can I Park Hop With Genie Plus?
Yes, you can park hop and use Disney Genie Plus.
In fact, it is particularly helpful when you are park hopping!
When you are in the Tip Board, click on “Change Park” and you’ll be able to select which park you’d like to hop to later in the day.
As long as you have a ticket with Park Hopper, you can hop on over to another park starting at 2 pm, as long as that park isn’t at capacity.
You can make Genie+ Lightning Lane selections for the park you want to hop to throughout the day.
I suggest doing this since the afternoon and evening always have the longest wait times of the day!
What are the Disney Genie Plus Rides at Each Park?
I am sure you are wondering what the Disney World Genie Plus rides are!
I have organized all of the Lightning Lane attractions in the free printable you get by signing up for my newsletter below.
Or if scrolling is your thing, keep reading to the bottom of this post for the full list.
And now, on to the Individual Lightning Lanes and how they work.
What rides have Individual Lightning Lanes?
As of right now, there are four Individual Lightning Lane attractions – one at each park. This is a change from the eight attractions that were originally included.
This may change in August when Disney will re-evaluate and may add more attractions to the Individual Lightning Lanes.
Here are the current rides at each park with an Individual Lightning Lane:
- Magic Kingdom: Seven Dwarves Mine Train
- Hollywood Studios: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (also has a free Virtual Queue – click here to learn how to use it)
- EPCOT: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
- Animal Kingdom: Avatar: Flight of Passage
How much do Individual Lightning Lanes cost?
The cost of Individual Lightning Lane selections ranges from about $10 – $15.
You do NOT have to purchase Genie+ to purchase Individual Lightning Lane selections!
The price depends on the attraction and the day you are visiting – for example, the price is higher during peak seasons and on weekends.
Here are the average costs for the Individual Lightning Lane selections:
- Seven Dwarves Mine Train (Magic Kingdom) –$11
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (Hollywood Studios) – $15
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind (Epcot) – $14
- Avatar: Flight of Passage (Animal Kingdom) – $12
Your price may be slightly higher or lower than these prices.
When Can I Make Individual Lightning Lane Selections?
This is a bit more confusing…
If you are staying at an on-property Disney resort, you can start buying Individual Lightning Lane reservations at 7 am the day of your visit.
Keep in mind that you can only purchase two Individual Lightning Lane selections each day.
If you aren’t staying “on property”, then you will have to wait until the park opens.
And to find out what time the parks open during your visit, check out this Disney World calendar.
How do I purchase Individual Lightning Lane reservations?
In both the My Day and Tip Board sections of Disney Genie (in the My Disney Experience app) you’ll see the option to purchase Individual Lightning Lane entry for the eligible attractions.
I suggest scrolling on the Tip Board until you find the attraction you are looking for.
How Do I Use My Lightning Lane Reservations?
When it is time to use your Lightning Lane reservation, head to the attraction and look for the entrance to the Lightning Lane queue.
Then you will be asked to scan either your park ticket, Magic Band, or Magic Mobile pass on your phone.
You may have to scan your band or ticket one more time before you get on the ride.
That’s it – you are now checked in for your Lightning Lane reservation and you can make another selection right away in the app.
Are the Disney Individual Lightning Lanes worth it?
You are also likely wondering if you should purchase Individual Lightning Lane passes at Disney World.
This depends a great deal on
- If you are staying at a Disney resort with Early Theme Park Entry and
- If you are actually able to get to the parks before they open and
- If you are up for hanging around the parks until they close.
If you’re staying on property and get up early, you will be able to ride at least one if not both Individual Lightning Lane attractions before the parks officially open during most times of the year!
For example, if Hollywood Studios officially opens at 9 am, then it will open at 8:30 am to Disney resort guests.
However, you will likely be allowed to enter at 8 am to get on Rise of the Resistance before the park even opens to resort guests.
I also suggest getting in line for one of the Individual Lightning Lane attractions a few minutes before park closing.
You can continue to get in the queue up until the minute the park “closes” and you will be permitted to ride the attraction!
The wait will be the shortest of the day, but you will have to hang in there until closing.
If the nighttime entertainment coincides with park closing, you may have to skip that as well. Just something to consider as you plan!
Note that you can make up to two Individual Lightning Lane reservations per day. This means you’ll have to think ahead if you are park hopping.
Disney Genie Plus Rules & Individual Lightning Lane Rules
As you may have noticed, Genie+ and the Lightning Lanes are complicated.
There are many rules you need to be aware of in order to get the most out of these services.
Here is a quick summary of all of the Disney Genie Plus rules and Individual Lightning Lane (LL) rules:
1) You can’t make more than one LL reservation per attraction per day. This applies to both Genie+ LL and Individual LL attractions!
2) You can only purchase two Individual LL reservations per day.
3) You can begin making Genie+ Lightning Lane selections at 7 am the day of your visit in the My Disney Experience app.
4) If you are staying at an on-property Disney resort, you can purchase Individual Lightning Lane passes starting at 7 am the day of your visit. If not, you will have to wait until the official park opening.
5) You can make another Genie+ LL selection after you check-in for your current selection OR after 120 minutes have passed since you made your current selection.
6) You don’t have to purchase Genie+ in order to purchase Individual LL passes.
7) You can purchase Genie+ for the day starting at midnight. Just be sure to have it added before you go to make your first reservation at 7 am.
8) You can select up to twelve individuals from your Friends and Family list when booking Genie+ Lightning Lane selections. So one person can plan for a group of up to twelve people total.
Disney World Lightning Lane Attractions
Here is a full list of the Disney World Genie Plus rides and Individual Lightning Lane Attractions at Walt Disney World.
Individual Lightning Lane Attraction:
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Genie+ Lightning Lane Attractions:
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Festival of Fantasy Parade
- Haunted Mansion
- “it’s a small world”
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- Meet Cinderella & A Visiting Princess at Fairytale Hall
- Meet Tiana & A Visiting Princess at Fairytale Hall
- Meet Mickey at Town Hall
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Monster’s, Inc. Laugh Floor
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- The Barnstormer
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid
Individual Lightning Lane Attraction:
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
- Test Track Presented by Chevrolet
- Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival
- Frozen Ever After
- Journey Into Imagination with Figment
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE
- Spaceship Earth
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
Individual Lightning Lane Attraction:
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Toy Story Mania!
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
- Disney Junior Play & Dance!
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
- MuppetVision 3D
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Meet Olaf at Celebrity Spotlight
Individual Lightning Lane Attractions:
- Avatar Flight of Passage
- Nav’i River Journey
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Expedition Everest
- Festival of the Lion King
- It’s Tough to be a Bug!
- Kali River Rapids
- Feathered Friends in Flight
- The Animal Experience at Conservation Station
- Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
- Finding Nemo: The Big Blue…and Beyond!
I hope that you found this post helpful in learning how to use Genie Plus (aka Genie pass Disney, Disney Genie app, or the Disney Genie service).
If you have any questions please join the conversation on my free private Facebook group, The Budget Mouse. Or leave a question in a comment below and I will answer just as soon as I can!
Check out these related posts: