Disney World Reopening Details

on May 28, 2020

If you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.

Details on Disney World reopening plans – I’ll keep this updated with the latest info.

epcot's spaceship earth illuminated at dusk

Disney World announced it’s dates for reopening the theme parks but there it a LOT to know!

There are many changes to the theme parks in order for Disney World to meet health and safety guidelines. Here’s everything we know right now.

Disney World Reopening Dates

First, Disney Springs began a phased reopening on May 20th. Disney-owned stores reopened May 27th. There may still be some places that have yet to reopen.

Disney Vacation Club (DVC) resorts and Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will start welcoming guests on June 22nd.

We still don’t know when the other Disney-owned resorts will reopen at this point, but I expect it will be sometime within the first week of July.

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom will reopen on Saturday, July 11th. Epcot and Hollywood Studios will reopen Wednesday, July 15th.

There will not be any Extra Magic Hours during the initial reopening. There are also new daily park hours which right now look like:

• Magic Kingdom: 9 am to 7 pm
  • Epcot: 11 am to 9 pm
  • Hollywood Studios: 10 am to 8 pm
  • Animal Kingdom: 8 am to 6 pm

Disney World Reservations System

fountain in front of cinderella castle at magic kingdom

Disney World will have limited capacity when it first reopens.

Entering a theme park will require both a ticket and a reservation. They will do this through a new reservation system.

Reservations will be available for dates through September 26, 2021.

Here is when you’ll be able to start making reservations for visiting the theme parks:

• June 22nd: Anyone with a Disney World resort reservation. You’ll know if your resort is owned by Disney World if it’s name begins with “Disney’s” (e.g. Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort).
  • June 26th: Annual Passholders who don’t have a Disney World resort reservation
  • June 28th: Anyone with a Disney World ticket linked to their My Disney Experience account

You’ll only be able to make a reservation for one park per day for now. If you have purchased a Park Hopper ticket, Disney will refund the difference for you.

With this reservation system you will know WELL in advance of your trip if you will be able to make a reservation for your dates.

There won’t be a situation where you will be turned away at the gates that day.

sample disney world tickets

Disney has halted the sales of new tickets and new resort reservations.

Once they get everyone scheduled for a reservation that already has a ticket and reservation, they will resume sales. There is word that these will resume later this summer.

FastPass reservations are also temporarily unavailable while they sort out the re-opening.

And if you had made any FastPass reservations for an upcoming trip, those will unfortunately be cancelled.

Reopening Dining

Since there are so many changes to the theme parks during reopening, dining will look very different for a while.

The Dining reservation system is currently unavailable as Disney gets everything sorted out.

However if you have a Disney resort reservation with a check-in between June 22nd and July 10th, you can call Disney to make dining reservations at 407-W-DISNEY.

If you have made any Dining reservations for an upcoming trip, those will unfortunately be cancelled.

Guests will first need to have a reservation to enter a park before they make a dining reservation for the park which necessitated starting from scratch with reservations.

Dining reservations will be able to be made 60 days in advance instead of 180 days. This is similar to Disneyland’s 60-day dining reservation system.

And Disney has decided to not offer any Dining Plans during this time period. I believe this is because there may not be enough opportunity to use all of your Dining Plan credits and Disney doesn’t want guests to be left with unused credits. I am confident the Dining Plans will return once things get back to normal.

If you had a package with a Dining Plan, Disney will contact you via email about either converted your package into an alternative package with a 35% off discount, or refunding your money paid for the Dining Plan.

Disney World Resort Reservations

boardwalk and lake at Disney's Boardwalk Inn

Disney’s Boardwalk Inn

Starting Sunday, June 28th you’ll be able to book Disney World packages for 2021.

I highly suggest booking a package with a Disney World expert travel agent. It won’t cost you anything extra and you’ll get personal help booking your dining and picking the right resort.

It will be even more important next year as we hope to see things getting back to normal there.

Get a free quote from our travel agent Siera with Destinations in Florida here!

Disney World Reopening Protocols

little girl standing in front of cinderella castle

In order for Disney World to get permission to reopen from the state, they had to demonstrate how they would meet CDC guidelines in three areas:

• Cleanliness
  • Physical distancing
  • Reduced contact

Here are the measures Disney will take and what will be required of guests:

• Face covering will be required for any guest age 2 and up and all cast members. There are plans for “relaxation zones” where guests can get a break from their mask, likely with increased distancing measures.
  • Temperature screenings before entering the park for guests and cast members through a no-contact process.
  • No parades, fireworks, character meet and greets (I assume this means no character dining), or playgrounds for the time being.
  • Hand sanitizer and hand washing stations set up around the parks.
  • Compliance with staying 6 feet apart from other parties.
  • Signs on the ground that indicate where to stand when waiting for an attraction.
  • Tables spaced out in restaurants for distancing.
  • Heavy use of the My Disney Experience app for a FastPass-type system that will limit how many people are waiting at once.
  • Cashless transactions preferred (such as Magic Bands, credit cards, and gift cards) though cash will still be accepted.
  • Use of Mobile Ordering for quick service meals.
woman scanning a magic band to enter a disney park

Entering a Disney park with a Magic Band

As you can see, the parks will be very different for a while.

For some, this means they will prefer to reschedule their trip until some or all of these restrictions are loosened.

Others may be fine with these requirements and decide to visit this summer and fall.

Please leave a comment below if you have any questions or join the discussion in The Budget Mouse Facebook group!

disney world reopening dates and details pin image

21 Comments

• Tom Shriver

Can we still get tickets if we are “ blacked out “ with our annual passes in July and August ?

May 28, 2020 at 8:23 am Reply
    • Leah

My guess is no but I can’t be 100% sure. Disney will refund you for the time it has been closed however or extend your pass for the equivalent amount of time. I am a pass holder and am opting for the refund.

May 28, 2020 at 8:56 am Reply
  • Justin

Hi, we already have resort reservations for late August. Would you go ahead and purchase special event tickets now to ensure park entrance?

May 28, 2020 at 9:55 am Reply
    • Leah

Hi Justin,

Well right now you aren’t able to purchase any tickets. Disney has frozen ticket sales. If you want to go to the parks in late August, I would suggest buying tickets as soon as they become available again as well as make a park reservation for your dates.

May 28, 2020 at 10:08 am Reply
  • Becky

We have reservation and tickets for July. Would you go with these restrictions in place? Or reschedule?

May 28, 2020 at 9:57 am Reply
    • Leah

Hi Becky,

It really depends on what you are expecting for your visit. I am a frequent visitor and often do not go on any rides when I am there – just eat, spend time with my family, soak up the atmosphere and people watch. So I personally would go. But if you think the lack of parades and character meets, some rides closed, etc. would be a big disappointment then I would suggest rescheduling.

May 28, 2020 at 10:10 am Reply
  • Laura Warfield

We already have a week long trip paid for starting September 6th. It’s a complete package with park tickets, dining, & accommodations at Pop Century. Is it safe to assume we’ll be given park reservations since we’re already booked? Has any word been given regarding park hopping?

May 28, 2020 at 1:03 pm Reply
    • Leah

Hi Laura! Yes, I think in your example you will be given top priority for entrance. I’m not sure about park hopping since attending the theme parks will require a reservation. I don’t know how they will handle that but they might think of a way. If they don’t allow hopping I am sure they will refund the charge related to that on your package.

May 28, 2020 at 7:02 pm Reply
  • Carol Depman

What are your thoughts on the Halloween Party. Do you think they will cancel it? We already purchased our tickets. But to me the parade is the best part. Also do you think they will cancel Food and Wine Festival? That is the reason we are going.

May 28, 2020 at 5:53 pm Reply
    • Leah

Hi Carol, I think elements of Food & Wine Festival will still happen such as the booths. The seminars and stuff will likely not happen. But I think they can still do the booths and meet guidelines. I’m not sure about the Halloween party since the fireworks, parade, character meets, and shows are main features and they can’t happen. i would say it prolly will be a no-go.

May 28, 2020 at 7:00 pm Reply
  • Cheryl

Hello! We originally had a reservation during May to avoid the heat and crowds and enjoy the Flower and Garden Festival. Due to Disney being closed for most of that festival do you think they may extend it to vendors who wish to participate to July and August dates when there aren’t typically any festivals? We rescheduled to mid August so would love for this to happen.

May 28, 2020 at 7:37 pm Reply
    • Leah

Hi Cheryl! I hadn’t considered the possibility of changing the dates of Flower & Garden festival, actually. I’d say it is a possibility though I don’t think it is likely. I expect it would just be too much to coordinate since Disney is now scrambling just to meet CDC requirements for reopening. But Disney is amazing and they could come through with something!

May 29, 2020 at 5:47 am Reply
  • Pat

What do you think will be the schedule for easing restrictions? We have a trip scheduled for week of September 7. Would be kids first time and had a lot of character meals reserved with dining package. If we can’t enjoy Disney like it used to be we’d rather not go.

May 28, 2020 at 10:42 pm Reply
    • Leah

Hi Pat, I think it is unlikely that many of these restrictions will be lifted by September. I think it will take widespread availability of a vaccine or treatment for most of them to be lifted. Rescheduling is probably the best bet so you can have the full Disney experience you are hoping for. Let me know if I can help!

May 29, 2020 at 5:45 am Reply
  • Tracy

We have FL resident Discovery Passes WITH PARK HOPPER with 2 days left on them. Are we assuming no Park Hopping? Didn’t know if possibly we could book 2 parks in a day. Or are we asking for a refund on that part?

June 1, 2020 at 5:43 pm Reply
    • Leah

I’m afraid we don’t know yet if park hopping will work with the new reservation system. My guess is (at least at first) no. But eventually there will be park hopping again.

June 2, 2020 at 6:35 am Reply
  • SE

I will wait until the spike that is happening right now in fl submerges.

June 19, 2020 at 2:36 pm Reply
  • Rita

I am so confused on “disney resort” and “Official Walt Disney World Hotel.” I had reservation and theme park tickets for October/2020 already in place before the shut down. Trying to figure out if I’m going to be able to reschedule my dates at theme parks June 20th or will have to wait until June 28 when anyone with park ticket can reserve.

June 19, 2020 at 3:40 pm Reply